Health and Safety Officer
Established in 1979, Central Employment is the oldest independent recruiter in the North East with over 40 years of industry expertise. Over the years, we have worked with and recruited for some of the largest businesses and brand names in the North East. Specialising in temporary, contract and permanent recruitment across a broad spectrum of industries supplying staff with full UK coverage.
We are currently recruiting for a permanent Health & Safety Officer, working Monday to Friday, predominantly based at our clients Sedgefield site in Stockton on Tees, with regular travel to the Keighley site in West Yorkshire essential.
Reporting to the Compliance Manager this autonomous position will be a challenging multi-facetted role requiring a person who can adapt and be flexible in managing their duties. They will also report into the Operations Managers on both sites.
Main Purpose: To ensure the compliance of Health & Safety policies throughout BOTH sites. This includes updating and maintaining the H&S manuals and ensuring employees/managers/suppliers comply and work to the standards throughout the sites.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health.
- Ensure Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure the company meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety, environment, welfare at work.
- Ensure the completion and regular review of risk assessments for all work equipment and operations.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, fully investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and lone working procedures are managed and employees are aware of their responsibilities.
- lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks
- Amend and update health and safety policies, safe systems of working and procedures.
- Ensure training records are updated with all health and safety training.
- Establish a full programme of documented health and safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Liaise with external training consultants where appropriate in the provision of training required.
- Manage, chair and devise agenda for health and safety meetings, ensuring minutes are circulated and actions carried out.
- Keep up-to-date with changes in legislation and amend and communicate all relevant policies/information.
· Update current environmental policy and ensure it is communicated to all relevant employees.
· Make recommendations for new environmental practices that will assist the company in meeting customer expectations.
· Keep up-to-date with legislation and amend and communicate all relevant policies/information, ensure the board are aware of any new changes that could impact dramatically on current procedures or where substantial costs may be incurred.
The successful candidate will be:
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Environmental qualification would be an advantage but not essential
- Experience within a manufacturing environment
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in order to explain health and safety processes to a range of people and to give presentations to groups
- negotiating skills to convince managers of the need to implement and maintain safety standards that may compromise speed or efficiency in the organisation
- patience and diplomacy because the profession requires a collaborative approach
- the ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately
- an investigative mind
- IT skills
- attention to detail
- a flexible approach to work
- an interest in the law and the ability to understand regulations
Hours of work 8.30am – 17.00pm Monday to Friday
Holidays 25 plus bank holidays
Pool car available for travel to West Yorkshire site, or 45p per mile reimbursement if use own vehicle
Benefits Auto-enrolment Royal London Pension after 3 months ( 5% employee & 3% employer)
Healthshield cash plan covering dental, optical, physio
Life Assurance 1 x Basic salary