Bid/New Business Manager
Central Employment are delighted to be working with a well-established and award-winning Professional Services organisation based in Newcastle. Due to departmental growth, they are looking to recruit an experienced Bid/New Business Manager, joining their Marketing and Business Development function.
Purpose of the role:
The key purpose of the role are to identify new business opportunities and create and deliver the highest quality bids, tenders, proposals, and pitches and to manage bids across various practice areas, ranging from public sector to large scale corporate/banking panels. Bid/New Business Manager will work directly with the tender team and/or Heads of Department whenever needed to coordinate technical content and identify win themes and unique selling points. The successful Bid/New Business Manager will be strong leader, be able to challenge partners where tenders fall outside of current strategy and have experience of implementing and upkeeping robust processes and best practice. They will be client focused and be able to innovate where possible. They will have a proven track record of leading successful teams and ideally have worked within professional services.
- Managing all aspects of proposal and tender preparation, creating and delivery, ensuring quality, compelling bids are submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinating incoming bid requests and proposal responses using company and tender portal databases.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the databases regularly. Setting up firm profiles in appropriate databases and keeping all information up to date.
- Reviewing all client requirements to ensure that they are met in the proposal/tender and collaborate with relevant firm-wide people to include all necessary information designed to raise our profile and win new business in specific areas.
- Identify training needs for the lawyers on skills such as tender writings, pitching and sales.
- Acting as a coach for legal teams. Guiding our people through the entire tender/proposal cycle and to ensure we identify and submit work winning bids. Acting as a mentor, with a goal to train and educateour people in a way that will spark company growth.
- Working to improve customer satisfaction and ensuring that clients are retained, quickly developing, and implementing solutions for maximum retention. Regularly communicating with clients is crucial, as is notifying them of any project updates or changes.
- Working collaboratively with the tender/proposal lead and finance department to ensure optimal bid pricing and submit pricing suggestions for review and approval.
- Learn from and share all results/analytics to improve future tenders/proposals and ongoing client engagement and retention. Work closely with BD Director, BD Manager, and legal team to ensure post-win delivery is maximised for optimal client retention.
- Proactively seek out PR stories for creation by our team for maximum coverage.
- Provide insightful research on companies and industries for future proposal/tender creation.
- Work with our legal teams to develop team/sector strategy and develop key target and client relationships.
- Continuously seek to improve our brand and develop personal effectiveness.
- Being a strong tram worker who is comfortable working with people at all levels of professional organisation.
Degree level education, ideally in a relevant subject (business, marketing, English, or public relations).
• Excellent writing skills, communication, and project management skills.
• Copy/bid/proposal writing essential.
• Personal gravitas combined with excellent communication skills.
• Excellent brand understanding and interpretation.
• Planning, organisation and time management skills.
• Ability to work cross-functionally across the business for different teams.
• A sound understanding of new business processes, CRM and the emerging technologies that will help us win and retain legal work.
• Broad-based business experience, including external affairs, marketing, and communications.
• A good understanding of the business environment within the North East.
• A track record of representing an organisation.
• You will be expected to have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and persuade legal and client personnel.
• Able to influence people at all levels and receive and assimilate critical feedback.
• Able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while functioning as a member of a highly collaborative team.
• Knowledge of marketing / BD processes for professional services desirable.
• High level of literacy in IT and marketing systems – Excel, Word and Outlook is essential; experience of CRM, InDesign, Photoshop, PageTiger design software would be beneficial.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Deadline-Oriented, Process Improvement, Coordination, Strategic Planning, Market Knowledge.
• A valid UK driving licence is desirable.